Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Learning Lesson from Lentils

My husband liked the Lentil Soup so much that he asked me to make another batch. But this time he wanted me to use the ham bone that we had. So I tried it. Made the exact same recipe but added the ham bone in first and the liquid and then the lentils and a ton of water because I also made a double batch. Well I should have only made one batch of this because the ham that we bought had a sweet glaze on it and that went into the soup and did not make it taste like lentil soup at all. Here are the photos anyway.


I only added water to the soup because I really wanted to taste the flavor of the ham. Well I ended up adding 6 total bouillon cubes to the soup to reduce the sweetness. 
I added the Lentils and the water and let that cook for about 30 mins and then added the spices and let that cook until the meat falls off the bone. About 1-1.5 hours. Season to taste.

Advice: Don't use a sweet ham for soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment