Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chunky Beef Stew

I made Beef Stew tonight. I didn't really know how to make it but I knew I didn't want to use a recipe. So I "winged it"! I called my mom about what type of meat to use and she also recommended the McCormick Beef Stew spice packet.


I really didn't want to use this seasoning but it was already 3:30 and I was irritated because the beef I bought had gone bad so I had to go out and get some more. Next time I will be using my own spices and seasonings. I did add some other things to this stew but the base was this spice packet.

The first thing you want to do is put about 1tbs of butter into your pot and chop your onions. Don't turn the pot on yet but just have it in there waiting. That way the butter is on the bottom and then your onions are on top. Sweat the onions while cutting the beef.  Homemade butter post coming soon!
Chopped onions with Homemade butter
 Next take the stew meat and chop it in half to get more meat into your stew.
 Add the beef to the onions and saute until most of the sides are brown and the center is just about cooked through.


 Wash and chop your potatoes, celery, and carrots. Remember not to cut the veggies too thin because they will soften and reduce.
 Add all ingredients to the pot. Add the 3c water and the seasoning packet. (I did not follow the directions on the packet because I wanted this to be my beef stew not McCormick's)
 After adding the water and the seasoning packet, I added my favorite seasoning.... BAY LEAVES! 3-4 will suffice. I also added basil, oregano, and some garlic powder because I somehow forgot to add minced garlic.  Cover and bring to a boil on med high heat and then reduce to low and allow to simmer. If you want a thicker sauce add the flour as suggested on the seasoning packet at this stage.
Let simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour on low-med heat.
Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment